This Saturday (12 Sept), there will be a second gathering in Oxford to show solidarity with the refugees trying to reach Europe and protest against the UK government’s inadequate response.
Meet at 12:00 at Bonn Square where the march last Sunday ended.
See the Facebook event https://www.facebook.com/events/1497882773843084/
Calais: Let them in! Campsfield: Let them out!
PRESS RELEASE 27 MARCH 2015
Within the space of a few weeks:
- An all-party parliamentary inquiry published a report on The Use of Immigration Detention and recommended a 28 day time limit to detention, proper judicial oversight of individual decisions to detain people, less use of detention, and more use of non-punitive community based alternatives to detention (3 March)
- The biggest-ever wave of protest by immigration detainees in the UK began and spread to 8 of 11 detention centres in the UK (9 March)
- The government withdrew its application to double the size of Campsfield immigration detention centre near Oxford from 256 to 566 places. (12 March)
- The Labour Party has said that in power it would end the indefinite detention of asylum seekers and migrants. (26 March)
- The government has announced that it will close Haslar immigration detention centre near Portsmouth (26 March)
- The government has announced that it intends not to detain more asylum seekers and migrants in future, the first time any government has made such a commitment. (26 March)
Demo with Movement for Justice and Oxford Migrant Solidarity at Campsfield main gates (Langford Lane, Kidlington, Oxon, OX5 1RE).
LONDON MEET UP: 8.30am Marble Arch Tube station, see http://conta.cc/1v6B5Xm for more details.
In solidarity with the detainees and their demands.
For Immediate Release: 30/11/2014
A detainee with mental health issues is in a critical condition after being beaten up by Mitie security guards at Campsfield IRC in Oxfordshire. Between 60 and 100 detainees have occupied the courtyard to protest against the violence and the inhuman living conditions they suffer during detention. Continue reading
20 years too long
Helena Kennedy QC – End inhumane detention
Message to David Cameron
Launch of open letter to Prime Minister
1pm Saturday 15 November, at the Radcliffe Square, Oxford OX1 4AJ
The letter, signed by 9 heads of college and 61 other senior academics of Oxford University, calls for the immediate release of all Campsfield detainees and the withdrawal of plans to expand the immigration detention centre. Continue reading
Posted in Campsfield News, Events, Migration politics, Protests
Tagged academics, amnesty international, campsfield, detention, letter to prime minister, oxford university, student protest, student union
1. View the plans.
2. Comment on them as soon as possible.
If you would like help writing your submission, come to a workshop at Exeter Hall, 7 – 9.30pm on 3 December.
3. Mark 22 January in your diary. The planning decision is likely to be made at a Cherwell Council meeting on this date. Nearer the time, members of the public can register to speak by calling 01295 221589.
4. Write to your MP/Councillor.
Sample letter to to send to your councillor
Sample letter to MP who has already spoken out against the expansion (Nicola Blackwood MP and Andrew Smith MP oppose the expansion)
Sample letter to other MPs See also The Detention Forum‘s call for a moratorium on the expansion of detention briefing paper and sample letter.
5. Sign Nicola Blackwood’s petition
6. March from Exeter Hall to Campsfield. Meet at 10.30am outside Exeter Hall (OX5 1AB) on Saturday 29 November, for march to demo outside Campsfield at 12 noon.